Sunday, April 27, 2008
Time is free, yet priceless
My sister Liz and I were talking about our unrealized business ideas and ended up questioning ourselves as to the need for us to have said businesses. Is it really necessary for us to immediately give up our free time the second our last child enters school ? (my last child is now in Jr. High - so clearly it's a moot point for me). My husband noticed that this past week I've been the happiest he's seen me in a while (his perception that I must be happy is I initiate... intimacy). What's funny is that I was feeling guilty about the fact that I did as little as possible in the things I have to do; I ended up reading a 450 page book ("Mr. Darcy takes a wife" - hence my need for initiating things), played the piano for an hour and a half, and watched all my tivo'ed shows. OF COURSE I was happy! I feel like I should be helping with our income now, does that mean I am required to - when I don't HAVE to? It's not that I still don't contribute to our family, I still drive all over the place, make food, launder STINKY hockey, lacrosse, basketball stuff, have a Stake calling, 3 ward callings incl. ward camp director, etc. It's not like I do nothing all day - EVERY day. Is it wrong to enjoy my new (okay, 6 year) freedom? The thing is, I haven't allowed myself to enjoy it, because of the guilt. Maybe I just haven't found the right thing yet. Honestly, though - commit my time to another boss, when I finally have a little relief from the "bosses" I already have? Actually, I feel it is my obligation to enjoy my free time as much as possible for those that can't :). I am so done with guilt for no reason. I am resolved to own my time and enjoy it no matter what others feel I should be doing. When I'm ready to fill my days with more responsibility, I will - on MY TIME!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I go through every one of these thought chains. Depends on which one I get stuck as to what I exactly want to do with the rest of my life.
There seem to be so many choices, yet not as many when it gets right down to the nuts and bolts.
AMEN! It's so exciting to have a few minutes where I choose what I want to do now. There are plenty of things I've been stuffing on the back burner for so long. Loving having an older family.
Post a Comment